Search Engine Optimisation is the set of processes involved in optimising your websites for Search Engines. When you browse a SERP (Search Engine Results Page) you encounter listings of websites (and recently enough – images, videos, maps, tweets…) referring to the topic you just typed into Google, these are known as rankings. Without this post drifting into anything too complex or over technical which is very easy to do when it comes to discussing SEO, I’ll show you an image which signifies the importance of ranking on page 1 in Google. The key thing you’ll understand after reading this post is that search engine optimisation for Google is the number one goal of pretty much every single website on the internet; even if they do not know what SEO is…everybody wants that number one listing.
As you can see from the above Google heat map, over 80% of clicks from users are towards the top 6 listings with the remaining 20% going towards the other million (billion?) or so listings depending on what your searching and how competitive the industry is. As you can see from the below image…some search queries really do generate over 2 billion results. Know of anymore?
If you’re wondering about search engine optimisation for Google and are looking for a simple, easy to follow guide then I’d recommend the Google SEO for starters guide. It will give you a good start as to what is required when it comes to optimising websites for Google. The good news is that the tips within are also useful when it comes to optimising pages/sites in other search engines also.
There are numerous factors when it comes to ranking in a search engine but a lot of the time it comes down to choosing your niche wisely, having patience and monitoring the incremental changes that are required. Pick your battles wisely and be careful when it comes to keyword selection. And when you’ve taken care of all that, you can then start working hard on a really important piece of the pie; link building. Here’s a great video by Matt Cutts which is two years old but is just as relevant as it ever was.
What do you think of the new Google SEO guide? I think it’s a great start but am surprised by the lack of importance it denotes to link building which is one of the key ways to develop authority on the internet. Did you like the video? Leave a comment and thanks for reading.